Monday, June 1, 2015

June 1, 2015

This was another week of miracles for your friendly neighborhood Philly 1st Sisters. This week I took part in an entirely different side of missionary work. All seven months I've been out on my mission I've been in this one area. And our problem, and it's definitely one
of the best problems to have, is that we have A LOT of people to teach. A lot. Basically all we do is teach lessons. I know, I know, you're probably all just laughing in disgust at me right now because that is NEVER something to complain about. It's the dream. I have 
certainly been so extremely blessed to be serving in the Promised Land that is the P1 Ward. But with so many miles being taken away from us and with it being the last week of the month Sister Shaffer and I decided to only drive out of Havertown when we really needed to and focus all our efforts right here. That meant a lot of walking and a lot of tracting, and I learned a lot a very good lessons.

1) If they're ready, they'll talk to you. As missionaries we should be persistent when it comes to sharing our message. After all, ITS TRUE AND THE ONE THING THAT WILL BRING EVERLASTING HAPPINESS, but the fact of the matter is that some people just aren't ready. It's not their time. YET. It's our job to make sure they know their options. If someone has been prepared, then they won't shut the door in your face and they will want to hear about what you have to say.

2) "Open your mouths and they shall be filled" -D&C 33:8. This may shock you, but most of the time talking to new people absolutely terrifies me. I worry a lot about saying the wrong thing and being awkward, but Heavenly Father has promised us all that when we simply
open our mouths He will give us the words to say. I'm still trying to apply this, I'm learning each day, but I testify that this is true! Something as simple as sharing with a woman that sunflowers are my favorite flower and sharing with her a thought that popped into my mind about the garden we had back home really helped her open up to us. She ended up sharing very personal things with us because the spirit prompted me with something seemingly insignificant and it helped us connect with her. MORE??.

3) It's impossible to fail, this is the Lord's work! I know I definitely psych myself out when it comes to talking to people, but we win every time we open our mouths and invite someone to learn about the restored gospel! No, people aren't going to accept every single
time, but just because someone says no doesn't mean you've failed. That's a planted seed! It takes about 7 interactions with the church before people join. We are placed every where we are for a reason. Whether it's that final seed, or just the first one, we win each and
every time we talk about the church.

So otherwise we didn't do a whole lot this week. Hahahah, but we have a lot of different great things set up for this upcoming week! I am so excited! I am so grateful to be serving here in Havertown! I know that this gospel is truly what will bring us all the most happiness in this life and I'm grateful to say that I gain a stronger witness of that
eternal truth each and every day. Thank you for all of the prayers and support from you all. I can't tell you how much it means to me to know I have so many people praying for me. :)

I should also let you know that Friday we will be getting transfer calls. I've been here for 7 months, so I will most likely be moving to a new area. So any letters you want to send please send it to the address I added below. Thank you and I'll let you know what happens next Monday! :)

Lots of love,
Sister Rachel Petrick

---------------------------------
Sister Rachel Petrick
721 Paxon Hollow Road Ste B
Broomall, PA. 19008




No comments:

Post a Comment