Monday, August 17, 2015

August 17, 2015

Hello everyone!

First to answer a couple of questions, no, we DID NOT swim at the beach! Hahaha, it was actually a little awkward because we all really wanted to go to the water so we were standing there with our feet in, the Bishop's wife took our picture and then we got off really really quickly because we realized how silly must have looked being fully clothed in Sunday dress standing on the beach. But it was a lot of fun! We were able to walk the boardwalk and got to know Sister Webster, the Bishop's wife, so much better. And that woman is just an angel! If you ever worry about whether or not I'm okay, just know that Stacey Webster takes care of us like we're her own daughters so there's never any reason to worry. :)

This week we have had a couple of great miracles and I picked one that I want to share with you all. We've been teaching a woman named Kelly and Kelly has truly been prepared by the Lord to receive the gospel at this time. She has been so receptive and so willing to change and put her faith to the test since day one. This week she was going through a lot of trials. She found out that the father of her daughter lost his job and he wouldn't be able to send a child support check that month and didn't know when he'd be able to again. She's a single, working mom and really needed to find a way to get some extra money. A mini miracle in itself, as we were planning for her lesson I just did not feel like the plan we had originally made for her was right. So we completely changed our plan before going in. We instead taught her about fasting. She was slightly hesitant about fasting because it does sound hard, but she did agree. And the member with us agreed to fast for her as well. So Saturday to Sunday we all fasted together. At church she came running up to us and said that she had a story for us. After she had begun her fast she got a phone call from her mom. She had an aunt that passed away back in November and her mom was calling to tell her that Kelly was getting inheritance money! $1000! There's no reason why it should have taken that long for the money to come, but it came just when she needed it and she knows that it's because she fasted. She knows that Heavenly Father provided that for her when he knew she and her daughter would need it and she knows that this gospel is true! She's so excited for all that the gospel brings as well! At dinner she was talking to us about her dating life and she said "If he doesn't want it to be for eternity, then I'm not even going to play that game." Kelly is such a wonderful woman and she has strengthened my testimony of the gospel so much! 

I've also been doing a lot of studying from my patriarchal blessing. My companions and I have instituted "Patriarchal PDay" so we study our blessings on Monday mornings and talk about them and ask questions as part of our companion study. It's been such an amazing experience first, because the unity that I've been building in my companion ship is incredibly special. We better understand each other's strengths and weaknesses. And second, I feel like I have such a greater understanding of what my overall purpose is here on this earth. I'm sure there's much more in store than what I'm expecting, but I know with so much certainty that Heavenly Father has a very specific plan and role for each of his children. He knows us all individually and knows what we need to learn and grow. And I promise that if we trust him, as it says in Proverbs 3:5-6 "he shall direct thy paths."

I love you all so much and hope you have a great week!

Love,

Sister Rachel Petrick

--

Sister Rachel Petrick

16 Park Lane

Dover, DE. 19904

No comments:

Post a Comment