Monday, August 3, 2015

August 3, 2015

Mom note- the trial she is referring to is bed bugs. Apparently, they all had bites all over their legs that they thought were just from all the bugs in Delaware. Some sweet ward members noticed and told them what it was. They got it all taken care of, but it messed up their week!  The picture is the Victorys that she talks about.
Dear friends and family,
This week has taught me a lot. Like a lot. I think I was the lucky recipient of a bathtub full of lessons this week. And I would love to tell you all about some of these lessons.
1. Charity never faileth. In Moroni 7:47 is says "Charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever." I've read this verse probably a good hundred times throughout my life and have studied charity multiple times throughout my mission as an attempt to try to gain more of this Christlike attribute in my own life. This week I experienced true charity from the members of the Camden Ward. My companions and I were given a great trial this week and many ward members, out of the selflessness of their beings. jumped in and were our saving graces. One couple in particular, Brother and Sister Sanstrom, and Sister Goodman are three individuals who really came to our aide. They stopped by one night with dinner for us and we shared with them what we were going through. Later that night as we were planning for out next day they all came back with care packages, big hugs, and prayers for us and it meant the world. I have come to know with a far greater knowledge that as President Eyring shares in his conference address The Comforter, Heavenly Father will use his saints here on the earth to comfort those in times of distress. I've been lucky enough to be on the serving side of that equation, but it wasn't until this week that I felt how powerful it is to be on the receiving end of this promise.
2. When we work hard and do our part, Heavenly Father ALWAYS provides miracles. As I said, this week was hard. We had almost two full days that we unexpectedly didn't get to go out for normal proselyting and we had to cancel a lot of plans. And that stressed us out a lot. But as the week went on, and as we constantly turned to the goals which we had set for the week we were able to accomplish and outreach the majority of these goals! Sunday proved to be a day of miracles as we saw our investigator Lynn come to church for the first time, our investigator Samantha shared with us her great desire to be baptized and agreed to pray about when it should happen, our investigator Kelly told us about how comfortable she feels in the ward and that she received a confirmation about being baptized on September 20th, and our investigator Eugene committed to being baptized on October 11th! I promise you that when we do our best, He makes up the rest. I know that Heavenly Father is so aware of all of our individual needs and circumstances and all He wants to do is help us through them. I know and promise that as we do all we can to follow his commandments and be diligent in doing all that He asks, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will be there to strengthen and support us through all of our doings and provide miracles when we need them.
3. Family does not have to be by blood. There are just SO MANY incredible members in the Camden Ward who have done all they can to make us feel welcome and just like part of the family!! One family in particular sticks out far above the rest and that is the Victory family. We eat with the Victorys every single Sunday night and it is a circus each and every time! The family is huge! There are the grandparents and they have four kids. The oldest has 5 kids, the next has one, the next has 4, and the youngest has 3. And then our investigator Kelly is always there with her daughter as well. And they're all in the ward! This family has taught me A LOT about the missionary, the mom, the wife, and the person who I want to become. I am eternally so grateful for them and so many other incredible member who I have had the privilege to meet in my 9 months of serving.
That's about it for me this week. I am so grateful to be out here serving my Savior. I know that this work is His and that as we align our will with our Heavenly Father's great things will happen. I love you all and I hope you all have a great week!
So much love,
Sister Rachel Petrick
--
Sister Rachel Petrick
16 Park Lane
Dover, DE. 19904

No comments:

Post a Comment