Monday, February 2, 2015

Hello! (She didn't do a cute subject line this time!)



The most exciting thing that happened this week is that my two
investigators, Emmanuel and Kelvin were confirmed! I'm so happy for
them! It was actually super funny, they were late to church. Another
man was being confirmed and after his confirmation Emmanuel and
Kelvin's mom walked in and we gave the bishopric a thumbs up and
everything but then the boys weren't with her. So sister Ririe and I
started panicking. Alice said they went to primary so we ran out of
sacrament meeting to the primary room. The other wards primary
presidency said they had already sent the boys back. We booked it back
to the chapel and walked in right as Kelvin's blessing was started. It
was probably the most stressful two minutes of my life! But now
they're members of the church! And so so happy!

In other news, transfer calls were last week and transfers are
tomorrow. Sister Ririe and I are both staying here in Havertown! And
the next day we got a call from the APs, we're getting a third Sister!
We're going to be a trio! I'm super excited about it. I'm also super
excited to be done with training. I'm  not a Golden anymore. Or greenie as
everyone else calls them. :)

I've really been enjoying my studies the last couple of weeks. One
morning this week I was studying 2 Nephi 2 and I would just like to
say that this chapter is pure gold. I love it. The scripture mastery,
verse 25, really stood out to me this time. It's the really well known
one that reads "Adam fell that men might be and men are that they
might have joy." Last year, since it was so short, I read it,
memorized it, and then sort of forgot about it, but this verse is
really so incredible! The verse, in a few more words, is saying that
Adam transgressed and was cast out of the garden so that Heavenly
Father's plan could be set in motion and so we could all come to this
earth. And we're here on earth so that we might be able to find joy!
And to add a little bit more to that, the footnote for the word joy
says that that joy is the potential to become like our Heavenly
Father! This chapter also talks about opposition and I use to really
dislike the idea of opposite and that idea of things being
contentious, but it's a good thing! When you think about it a little
differently, it's about being faced with hard things and not being
punished. We wouldn't know happiness if there wasn't any sadness in
this world. We wouldn't be able to use our agency for good and make
good choices to find that joy, or become like our Heavenly Father, if
there weren't also bad options. If there weren't bad options then we
wouldn't be able to make the good choices! And that's what this
Godlike attribute of agency is for - making good choices to bring us
closer to Heavenly Father! Hopefully that all made sense, it made
sense in my head. :) I really am so grateful for opposition. It gives
me the chance to evaluate my priorities. I've come to know of so many
ways that Satan tempts us through this opposition and I know that
choosing Heavenly Father's side and choosing to follow Christ will
ALWAYS make us happier in the end.

I love you all so much!
Sister Rachel Petrick
P.S. Here are some pictures! :)

First is me and Sister Boyoue and her granddaughter. They're my African family.
Then is me with Sister Binda, Sister Padmore, and Sister Boyoue at our English class. We're teaching them hymns now.
And then Emmanuel and Kelvin and then me with the boys and Alice.
 They're hilarious.
And then there I am in Philly. hahaha. :)
--
Sister Rachel Petrick
700 Darby Road #201
Havertown, PA 19083
Granddaughter, Sister Boyoue, Sister Petrick

Sister Binda, Sister Petrick, Sister Padmore, and Sister Boyoue

Emmanuel and Kelvin

Alice, Sister Petrick, Emmanuel, Kelvin

She really is in Philly!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this recently by Elder Scott from October 1995
    "Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in

    multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more (see Prov. 3:11–12). He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain."
    He always says things so well.
    We are so happy you are doing well and enjoying your mission.
    Elder and Sister Castleton

    ReplyDelete